For unrivaled luxury and a performance that’s at once powerful and efficient, the 2022 Ford Explorer Platinum is at your service. Let’s take a closer look at everything Ford’s top-tier three-row midsize SUV has to offer.
Is the 2022 Explorer Platinum better than the Limited?
In the Explorer trim model hierarchy, the Platinum sits two levels above the Limited, with the Explorer ST and King Ranch in between. If you’re looking for more luxury than the Limited has to offer, the Platinum is your go-to model. This midsize crossover comes standard exclusive features, including tri-diamond perforated leather seating and a 14-speaker premium sound system.
What’s under the hood? How much can the Explorer Platinum tow?
This Explorer trim model is the only one that comes standard with the powerful hybrid option, which helps you achieve maximum EPA ratings of up to 27 mpg
combined. And this hybrid powertrain is the only hybrid powertrain in this segment to help you tow up to 5,000 pounds.
If you prefer a little extra power and towing muscle (5,600 pounds max), you can always upgrade your Explorer Platinum with the available V6 engine. And all-wheel drive is available for either powertrain, boosting traction on trails and wintry roads.
2022 Ford Platinum specs include:
- 3.3L hybrid engine (318 horsepower, 322 lb-ft of torque)
- 10-speed automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel drive
- Optional all-wheel drive
- Optional Terrain Management System
- Optional 3.0L EcoBoost V6 engine (400 hp, 415 lb-ft)
Which features come with the 2022 Ford Explorer Platinum?
As the top-tier Explorer trim model, the Platinum hits the ground running with a wealth of luxury features. Outside, it’s easy to spot this flashy midsize crossover, thanks to its big wheels, adaptive LED headlamps, and extensive chrome trim. Inside, the Platinum wraps you in head-to-toe style, with posh leather seating and impressive climate control. Tech features abound, too, including complete smartphone integration and lots of device charging options.
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum exterior features include:
- 21-inch machine-face aluminum wheels with Luster Nickel-painted pockets
- Adaptive headlamps with LED signature lighting
- LED fog lamps
- Satin aluminum finish grille
- Power-folding, heated sideview mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, security approach lamps, driver’s side auto-dimming, and memory settings
- Quad chrome exhaust tips
- Hands-free, foot activated liftgate
- Optional twin-panel moonroof
The Explorer Platinum’s luxurious interior features include:
- Tri-diamond perforated leather seating
- Heated front seats
- Heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Second-row heated captain’s seats
- PowerFold third row
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Sync 3 with voice-activated navigation
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 12-speaker B&O sound system with 980 watts
- Wireless charging pad
- Multi-color ambient interior lighting
- Active Park Assist 2.0
Is the 2022 Explorer Platinum a good SUV?
Not only is the Platinum a very luxurious option, but it’s also a reliable one. With regular maintenance, this midsize crossover SUV can take you far into the future. Every purchase of a new Ford model also comes with impressive warranty coverage. If something goes wrong, we make it easy to bring your Explorer Platinum to our friendly dealership for warranty-related repairs.
2022 Ford limited warranty coverage includes:
- Bumper-to-bumper coverage: 3 years/36,000 miles
- Powertrain limited warranty: 5 years/60,000 mils
- Roadside assistance program: 5 years/60,000 miles